Thursday, August 05, 2010

The Indian in the Cupboard

The Indian in the Cupboard was the first chapter book I ever read aloud to my older 2 boys. They were 4 and 3 at the time. My first grade teacher read this book aloud to the class and I loved it. It's one of my favorite childhood memories, which is why I chose it to read to my guys. Added to my first grade memories are memories of me reading to them while they picked up their room. I was sure they weren't listening.

Yesterday I picked up a stack of audio books at the library. The older two were looking them over, and they both said "The Indian in the Cupboard! I love this story!"

I was shocked, and said "You remember the story?!?". I quizzed them a bit on it, and they both do remember it.

I was floored. It was encouraging to me though, because we started a consistent family read aloud time 4 years ago, which means my younger three boys were 4, 3, & 1 when we started. I now have hope that they might remember some of the stories we read when they were younger.

1 comment:

Monica said...

Very encouraging! I really want to become more consistent with chapter read alouds, my kids are old enough. I haven't read this story, I am going to go get it at the library STAT. :)

~Monica