Friday, July 04, 2008

Fleas!

Cr & I noticed that Maggie and Chewy were scratching a lot. We realized they had fleas, most likely picked up while being boarded at the end of May. I decided to give them a bath with flea shampoo yesterday, thinking I'd finish quickly and be able to move on to the other chores I had planned for the day.

I was wrong.

I bathed them, but while bathing Chewy I realized how bad the fleas were. They are American Eskimo dogs, and have really thick fur, and I came to the conclusion the only hope I had to actually get the shampoo down to their skin would be to shave them.

I started with the first bath at about 9:15, and decided to shave them by 9:45. I finished shaving Chewy at 12:30. I figured I'd have lunch, then shave Maggie and be done by 2:30 or so, and have some time to get other things done. It turns out, however, that Maggie's coat is much finer and softer than Chewy's, which means I couldn't shave it down with a guard on the clippers. In addition to looking like she has the mange now, it also took my until 4:00 to finish, and then I had to give each another bath in the flea shampoo.

The only bright spot I could think of while I was working on them yesterday was "At least the boys don't have head lice".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry about the fleas, but this was really truly funny to read. I can totally relate with your last thought about the lice!! ACK!

Warmly,
Kate

Kristine said...

Yikes! (My dh is dying to know where they boarded, you'll have to zip me a private email!) That's AWFUL.

I NEVER saw fleas in when we lived in your state!.

(LOL about your earlier comment to me with the snow on your mountain. We were up there one July and it snowed briefly! Dh would love it, he says he's baking here!)

And you must be jinxing yourself with the lice thought, that's even scarier!