Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Working and Homeschooling

The only thing constant is change, right?

We're in the midst of a big change here.

I wasn't looking for a job, but I've ended up with a part time job.  And I feel like it's right where God wants me to be.  Craig is on board, and the boys are on board.  I'm excited.  

Thankfully the job is close to home, so I won't lose commute time.  And they're willing to work with me to figure out the best hours.  And it uses my giftings, and it's at a place I'm passionate about.

Now, to begin the arduous task of figuring out how to balance homeschooling with working 16-20 hours a week.  This is definitely a step of faith; I'm not sure how it's all going to work, but I feel strangely at peace about it (not normal for me when there are unknowns).  It's going to be challenging, but it's a challenge I'm looking forward to.

My first order of business is to solve how to keep track of the work the boys complete while I'm working.  We've been using weekly checklists, but I think I need to move to a daily checklist for each boy.  With the weekly checklist, they're tempted to move along in subjects they enjoy, while losing ground in the subjects that aren't their favorites.  I'm considering having them paperclip their completed work to the assignment sheets once it's all done, and when it's handed over to me, I'll give them their next sheet.  I don't know; I'm still working it out in my head.  We're wrapping up this week, and then we'll be on Christmas break so I hope to implement a new system when we begin in January.  

No comments: