Friday, January 18, 2013

Week 19 in Review

I was zapped this week with a cold bug.  It took much of my energy, so the boys were on their own more than is ideal.

Nicholas had his 2nd piano lesson, and he's loving it.  The other big news is that I'm stopping phonics with him.  I'd been debating, but when we were working on Writing with Ease he read "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" to me.  I figure if he can sound that out without issue, he's doing well and I can just address any issues that come up when they present themselves.  He'll continue with Master Reader, mostly because he likes it and it helps keep him out of trouble.  For the first time in 9 years, I won't be faced with doing a Phonics Pathways lesson.  It's bittersweet.

Jacob and Micah plugged along as best they could.  Jacob is loving learning about electricity, and Micah spent a lot of time reading and playing with Zoobs.

Luke & Ezekiel continued reading The Codes of Hammurabi and Moses.  They both really like this book.  The discussion from Omnibus today had them deciding cases according to the code of Hammurabi and according to Biblical law.  We're also discussing Biblical allusions, and they had to write two of their own.  We worked on writing a chronological paragraph as well.  Progress was made in other subjects as well.

We started cursive, and it's going better than expected.  So far everyone is forming their letters correctly, even the tricky lowercase cursive "f".

I'm looking forward to next week...hopefully I'll be healthy and well-rested!


2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Great week, mom! I love that the boys had to write their own codes great activity.

Lisa @ Our Country Road said...

Oh learning cursive was always my favorite! Hope you are feeling better. Following from the Crew. Would love to have you follow back if you don't already. Have a great week!